R31 Skyline, LS1 Swap Project

R31 Skyline, LS1 Swap Project

This project has actually been in the works for a while, but didn’t want to bore you all with the hideous lack of progress that has been the past year. But now, things are finally moving along – so a little recap: me and my brother in law wanted to start getting into some motorsport, wanted to build something fun but wouldn’t be too much of a hit to the pocket if we crashed – what better than the shard collecting nugget that is the R31 skyline.

Donor car

Well, sort of donor car – we picked this up off a very nice bloke in melton, it had smacked into the wall at calder but had many decent parts we wanted for ours – 6 point cams approved roll cage, s13 front end setup, front and rear coil overs, 4:11 spooled diff and more. When I heard about this, I said ‘sounds great, let’s do it’ – the crucial piece of information I didn’t is that the wreck had no bloody wheels. Of course, the experience of getting the thing on and off a trailer (without damaging the sump, gearbox and exhaust that was in it) was very similar to head-butting a cactus 14 times in quick succession.

11291777_10204696591359578_783177639_n

11275538_456559607843565_139009233_o

Great – so we had the car on the trailer, smooth sailing from here right? Nope. We winched the car onto trailer off jack stands. So getting it off a trailer onto the ground without destroying everything underneath was going to be a task. We did some extremely dodgy things to get the car off the trailer and strip it and would not recommend trying any of the following yourself.

First things first, we had a spare diff – easy enough to put in then we’ll have at least rear wheels.

11356278_10204696591159573_151003994_n

We attached wheels as there was front suspension – but no struts to keep the wheels straight.

11287191_10204696590959568_1288843425_n

11350165_10204696591039570_1209594429_n

It was then gutted, cage removed and driveline taken out and sold and the shell scrapped.

11355444_10204696589599534_1125883317_n

11272230_10204696589639535_1371629560_n

11297786_10204696589519532_1082103533_n

Fast forward many months later after acquiring an ls1, t56 and miscellaneous skyline parts and we have our first test fit. This is using a kframe from an R33, engine mounts from a v6 cortina and the stock LS mounts to the block. For next to no work it comes pretty damn close.

 

 

 

 

image

Clearance with stock VY sump

image image image image image image

Next was to test fit the t56, after “massaging” the transmission tunnel a little I did manage to get it in.

image

 

But the little ‘ear’ that’s used to mount the factory commodore hardline was proving to be pain so off that went.

image

image

While I had the trans in place, I was able to check the length of the factory R31 tailshaft and it looks like it’ll  pretty much fit right up – i’ll just have to change the spline over to a t56 style.

image

Anyway that’s all for now, stay tuned there’s a lot more coming!